Trimble recently released a new version of GNSS Firmware. Our support and service staff have ran it through their tests, and they’ve given the all clear to install. Below are the receivers that are supported with the new release. You need to have a warranty expiration date of June 2017 or later. If you’re unsure of your warranty date, please email Daisy.
Note: For best results, users should upgrade to Trimble Access 2017.10 or later when using Survey GNSS Receiver Firmware version 5.32.
Before you update the receiver, download and backup any data files that are on the receiver.
There are 2 ways to install – one is with the TRIMBLE INSTALLATION MANAGER, another is with WINFLASH. Please read below to determine which choice you need to use. Contact our support staff (contact info at bottom of this post) if you have any questions.
TRIMBLE INSTALLATION MANAGER
Trimble Installation Manager is a free download and can be found here: http://www.trimble.com/installationmanager
The following GNSS receivers are currently supported:
- Trimble R2 (Firmware Installation)
- Trimble R8s (Warranty Activation, Option Loading, Radio configuration, Firmware Installation)
- Trimble R9s (Warranty Activation, Option Loading, Radio configuration, Firmware Installation)
- Trimble R10 (Firmware Installation)
After the installation process is complete, launch Trimble Installation Manager, connect the receiver with the appropriate data cable to your computer and click on Connect.
Trimble Installation Manager will display receiver-specific information. Select the firmware version you would like to install from the selection menu in the top right corner. Click on Install to start the installation process. Download Trimble Survey GNSS Firmware to a Local Machine using Trimble Installation Manager. The latest version of Trimble Survey GNSS firmware for supported receivers can now be downloaded and saved to your local machine via Trimble Installation manager:
- Launch Trimble Installation Manager – it is not necessary to have a receiver connected to your computer
- Click the Receiver tab
- Click the Download button in the upper right corner
- Select the appropriate receiver model on the left
- Select the desired firmware version from the dropdown menu in the upper right – the latest release is selected by default
- Click Download
- Browse to the location where you would like to save the file and click OK – the firmware file will automatically be saved to a folder labeled with the receiver model and firmware version
Download Information for Trimble Survey GNSS Firmware not using Trimble Installation Manager
The latest version of Trimble Survey GNSS Firmware can be downloaded from the Trimble website within the support page of each supported receiver.
- Go to www.trimble.com
- Click on the Support & Training link at the top of the page
- Select Support A-Z from the drop-down menu
- Find your receiver on the list of supported products. Hint: Click on the associated first character of your receiver type. All survey receivers full under “T” for “Trimble XX Receiver.”
- Click on the link for your receiver type
- Click on the Downloads link
- The latest firmware version should be located at the top of the page
- Click on the link to the latest version
- Your browser will begin downloading the latest Winflash utility installer that contains your firmware
- At this point you can save the Winflash installer to a local folder or click on Run (Open) to begin installing the utility. Note: You may need to accept some security warnings based on your computer configuration.
INSTALLING WINFLASH UTILITY
At this point you will continue from the last step above or if you have saved the downloaded Winflash utility, you must navigate to the folder that contains the file and click on WFC-Rx-5x-vxxx.exe. (xxx = latest firmware version).
- The Winflash installer will start. Click on the Next button
- Read the License Agreement and click on Yes to accept the terms
- At this point the Winflash installer will try to detect any previous versions of Winflash on your system
- If the Winflash installer detected a previous version of Winflash on your computer, it will display the current Winflash folder in use. Click on Next
- If the Winflash installer does not detect a previous version of Winflash on your computer, it will ask you to accept the default folder for Winflash. If you do not want to use the default location then:
- Click on the Browse… button and navigate to the desired folder location you want to use
- Click Ok to accept the new location
- Click on Next to continue
- Select the Program Folder location for the program icon, and then click on Next
- Winflash installer will now install all required files to run the Winflash utility
- The Winflash installer will now ask if you want to register Winflash. You have three options:
- Register via the Internet (web access required)
- Register by Fax or Mail. Selecting this option will open a document. Complete the document and fax or mail to Trimble
- Register Later
- The Winflash installation is now complete
Loading New Firmware Using Winflash
Use the Winflash utility to install the latest firmware on your Trimble GNSS receiver.
- Click on the Winflash icon added to the Start menu on your computer
- Click on the Device type (receiver group) for your receiver type
- Click on the PC serial port drop down menu to select the serial port your receiver is connected to
- Click on the Next button
- From the Operations list box, click on the Load GPS software operation
- Click on the Next button
- Click on the Available Software for your receiver and the firmware you just downloaded. If you have installed firmware before, the firmware versions are still available in the listing
- Click on the Next button
- The next screen shows the current settings and actions to be taken by the Winflash utility
- Click on the Finish button
- Winflash will now load the latest firmware onto your receiver. This procedure can take several minutes. If the firmware loads correctly, then click on the Exit button
David Bowers, 919.500.8499, email@example.com
Mark White, 404.693.5575, firstname.lastname@example.org