3D Printing Composite Materials
|Composite materials for 3D printing are continually driving innovation and change in the additive manufacturing industry. The ability to print 3D composite materials is leading the way toward industrial, end-use part production, especially for large, geometrically-complex parts for applications like aerospace and automotive.|
Composites are comprised of multiple materials that, when combined, work together to create new properties, different than the original, independent, source materials.
Commonly Used Composite 3D Printing Materials:
- Onyx is a blend of Nylon and Carbon Fiber. It is stronger and stiffer than ABS and can be printed on its own or with continuous fibers. Onyx sets the bar for surface finish, chemical resistivity, and heat tolerance.
- Onyx FR is a flame retardant version of Onyx. It achieves V-0 rating on the UL94 flammability test and is best for applications in which flame resistance, light weight, and strength are required.
- Continuous Fiber Reinforcement is actually small fibers set inside a base material to make the parts stronger.
- Carbon Fiber has the highest strength-to-weight ratio of any current reinforcement fiber available. It is commonly used for parts that replace machined aluminum.
- Kevlar possesses excellent durability, making it optimal for parts that experience repeated and sudden loading. As stiff as fiberglass and much more ductile, it can be used for a wide variety of applications.
- Fiberglass provides high strength at an accessible price and results in strong, robust tools.
- High Strength High Temperature (HSHT) Fiberglass exhibits aluminum-type strength and high heat tolerance. It is best used for parts loaded in high operating temperatures.
The Benefits of 3D Printing With Composites:
- Create functional parts
- Highly accurate
- Increased strength in final printed-part through fiber-reinforcement
Available Composite 3D Printers at Duncan-Parnell
Contact Us to Learn More About Our Additive Manufacturing Solutions
Want to explore how you can create parts for 3D printing? Markforged's Eiger print software makes creating 3D-printed composite parts easy. Click here to view our on-demand webinar where our experts uncover how you can harness the power of Markforged's Eiger software.